Fending off Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration is a disease of the macula, an area of the retina at the back of the eye that is responsible for fine detail vision. Macular degeneration occurs gradually and often affects the central vision first. At Central Valley Eye we have a variety of treatment options for macular degeneration, but there are numerous things you can do to keep your eyes healthy.
What are the symptoms of macular degeneration
One problem with this condition is that is may exhibit few noticeable early symptoms. That’s why eye exams every two years with the team at Central Valley Eye Medical Group are important, as we can spot early signs of the disease. These are typical symptoms:
- Difficulty reading without extra light and magnification
- Distortions or blurring when looking at objects
- Perception that objects “jump” when you look directly at them;
- Difficulty seeing to read or drive
- Inability to see details
- Blind spot in the center of your vision
Things you can do to keep your eyes healthy
Here are some tips to keep your eyes in good condition. For those who are already diagnosed with age-related macular degeneration, follow these guidelines to slow the progression of the disease.
- Smoking is a risk factor. Don’t smoke, or try to quit if you do.
- Consume dark, leafy vegetables. Eating half a cup of raw spinach three times a week can greatly improve the condition of your eyes.
- To supplement your healthy diet, take multivitamins.
- Consuming fruit and nuts on a daily basis keeps your eyes bright and healthy.
- Exercise is key. Keep your body moving regularly and maintain a stable and healthy weight.
- Lower your intake of food with refined carbohydrates.
- Eating fish or fish oil supplements is beneficial for your eyes.
- When going outdoors, make sure to wear appropriate sunglasses, particularly those that will block the damaging UV rays of the sun. Direct exposure to sunlight can greatly damage your eyes.
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly and have regular eye exams. Early detection of eye diseases leads to early treatment and better results.
At Central Valley Eye Medical Group, we have various options for treating macular degeneration. If you’re showing any of the above signs, or if it’s time for your regular checkup, please call us at 1-800-244-9907.
Posted in: Macular Degeneration Treatment