Intraocular Lens (IOL)
What Is An Intraocular Lens (IOL)?
An intraocular lens, or an IOL, is an artificial lens that replaces a patient’s natural lens in the eye. IOLs are typically placed during cataract surgery and offer patients the opportunity to no longer need glasses or contacts after surgery.
At Central Valley Eye Medical Group, we offer a variety of intraocular lenses to our patients. After an eye examination, our doctors will discuss your options and determine which IOL is best based on your preferences and post-surgery vision goals. We specifically offer IOLs for patients with astigmatism and cataracts. Say goodbye to both cataracts and astigmatism and say hello to a clear tomorrow!
Intraocular Lens for Astigmatism
Astigmatism occurs when the cornea is irregularly shaped. This causes light to focus in more than one point on the retina and thus results in blurry, distorted vision. Traditionally, patients receive a monofocal IOL that generally provides good distance vision without glasses or contacts. However, many patients that also have astigmatism will still experience blurry distance vision because standard IOLs do not correct astigmatism. Today, patients with astigmatism who want freedom from glasses for distance vision after cataract surgery can choose to have the AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL.
What is AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL?
The AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL not only clears vision after cataract removal, but it can also reduce or eliminate the blurring and distortion caused by astigmatism. The AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL has a unique “aspheric” surface that proves to correct up to 3 diopters of astigmatism.
Benefits of AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL
- In clinical trials, 94% of patients with intraocular lenses achieved uncorrected distance visual acuity of 20/40 or better.
- The AcrySof® IQ IOL provides improved functional vision in challenging, low-visibility environments.
- The AcrySof® IQ Toric IOL is made of the same highly-biocompatible material as Alcon’s market-leading AcrySof family of intraocular lenses, which have been implanted in more than 21 million human eyes since 1991.
Intraocular Lens for Cataracts
For most cataract patients, life without reading glasses or bifocals is something they either experienced before presbyopia or they just dreamed about for most of their lives. But today, The AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL is turning those dreams into reality with its revolutionary lens technology, which allows patients to see clearly at all distances, day or night, without bifocals or reading glasses. The AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL is now available and delivers a high level of glasses-free vision.
What is AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL?
The AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL is a second generation multifocal lens that allows patients to see clearly at all distances, day or night, without bifocals or reading glasses. Patients can receive the AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL whether or not they have presbyopia. Additionally, the AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL has an “aspheric” surface and has proven to eliminate much of the night vision distortions and loss of contrast that can be experienced with standard IOLs.
AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL Benefits
- During clinical trials over 95 percent of patients who received the AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® Multifocal IOL said that would have this lens implanted again.
- In clinical trials, 3 out of 4 patients receiving the AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® in both eyes reported never wearing glasses after cataract surgery.
- This unique IOL results in highly-predictable visual results, meaning patients can read prescription bottles, magazines, and computer screens, while also seeing items at a distance without the assistance of glasses.
- The AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® is made of the same highly-biocompatible material as Alcon’s market-leading AcrySof family of intraocular lenses, which have been implanted in more than 21 million human eyes since 1991.
- AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® uses a combination of three complementary technologies: apodization, diffraction, and refraction. Its unique design provides the ability to focus light correctly and automatically on the retina for images at various distances without mechanical movement of the lens. With the addition of an advanced aspheric optic, the AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR® IOL offers better image quality than ever before.
Placing a TORIC or ReSTOR IOL is a relatively simple procedure. Our ophthalmologists will make a small incision in the cornea and remove the cataract lens. The incision size will depend on which IOL our doctors place, but it is a small incision that will heal in time. Then, they will place the appropriate IOL. The entire procedure can take between 15 and 45 minutes. Patients are able to leave the office after surgery, however, recovery time will vary.
What To Expect After IOL Surgery
The staff at Central Valley Eye Medical Group will prescribe eye drops for patients to use after surgery. These will help relieve symptoms such as itching, discomfort, or light sensitivity. We will schedule a follow-up appointment after surgery so our ophthalmologists can check on your progress in the few days following surgery. Some patients experience improved vision immediately and others may take a few days to notice the improvement.
Potential Complications With Intraocular Lenses
As with any surgery, the procedure to place intraocular lenses has potential complications. The primary risk is that certain individuals simply do not adapt to a new way of seeing. The adjustment time will vary based on the patient. In general, IOL placement comes with a high success rate. Risks can include:
- Swelling or bleeding
- Retinal detachment
- Secondary cataract formation
- Eye redness or irritation
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision, halos or glare in low light
- Lens rotation
Choose Central Valley Eye Medical Group
“Dr. Kim and Dr. Titler are fabulous doctors and I would not hesitate to trust them completely with the very precious gift of my eyes. I am a photographer and when I discovered that my sight was failing because of cataracts, I was extremely apprehensive about any procedure that might jeopardize my sight even further. Dr. Kim and the entire staff made the process as easy and comfortable as possible.” – Terry G.