Kimberly Cockerham, M.D., FACS
Kimberly Cockerham, M.D., FACS was raised in San Mateo and pursued her undergraduate degree at University of California, San Diego. Graduating with honors, she was awarded a US Army scholarship to George Washington University Medical School in Washington, D.C, and graduated with honors.
While on active duty, Dr. Cockerham completed her general surgery internship at Letterman Army Medical Center followed by an ophthalmology residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. After excelling in two fellowships (one at Walter Reed and the other in Pittsburgh), Dr. Cockerham was selected as the Director of Oculofacial Plastics at Walter Reed. She had the honor of providing care for soldiers injured in Operation Desert Storm, Desert Shield, Bosnia, Somalia and the Beirut bombings.
Dr. Cockerham is currently an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor at Stanford University School of Medicine.
“The idea of being able to care for people for a living resonated with me from an early age and has guided my professional path. It has also driven me to create the Let’s Face it Together Foundation to help care for uninsured patients with autoimmune or post-traumatic ocular or facial alterations. I offer decades of advanced training and experience along with the highly personalized and compassionate care that patients deserve.”
Includes a Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship (Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA), a Neuro-Ophthalmology Fellowship (Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC.), an Ophthalmology Residency (Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC.), a General Surgery Internship (Letterman Army Medical Center, San Francisco, CA) and her Medical Degree from George Washington University Medical Center in Washington, D.C.
Prior Leadership Positions
Director of Oculofacial Plastics Services at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Allegheny General Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA and Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
Includes over 100 peer-reviewed papers, chapters and a book, Diagnosis and Management of Orbital Disease, section Editor for Ocular Surgery News and EyeNet, health advisor and contributor for Men’s Health, and reviewer for numerous scientific journals.
Achievements and Awards
- Fellowship-trained in cosmetic, laser and reconstructive surgery of the face, eyelids, and eye muscles
- Decorated Veteran: National Service Ribbon, two Superior Unit Awards, Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal and Meritorious Service Medal
- Honored clinician and surgeon: Who’s Who in American Women, Lifetime Achievement, Who’s Who in Medicine, Best Doctors in America, two UCSF Star Awards for Excellence, American
- Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, Senior Achievement Award, Distinguished Service Award and a Special Recognition Award
- Former Chief of Oculofacial Plastics, University of California, San Francisco
- Founder of Let’s Face It Together Foundation 401(c)(3) that provides medical and surgical care for patients without the financial means to address their facial disfigurement and dysfunction (LFITfoundation.org)